Install Guide | KC M-RACK onto Jeep Wrangler JK and JL 4-Door
Congratulations on your new KC M-Rack!
This guide will help assemble your Jeep Wrangler KC M-Rack and install it onto your Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK or JL (4-Door). These steps will apply to 2007 to current Jeep Wrangler 4-Doors with a hardtop. If you have any questions at all during this process, please feel free to contact us!
For use of part numbers: #9214, #92141, #92142, #9218, #92181, #92182
Level 1 – “Never-Ever” Never worked on a vehicle and working with tools isn’t your forte’. For this level, we recommend seeking professional installation.
Assembly Time 8-12 hours
Level 2 – “YouTube Certified” Never assembled or installed a roof rack or other similar systems, yet you are pretty mechanically handy and have done a bunch of research on how it’s done.
Assembly Time 6-10 hours
Level 3 – “DIY Auto Mechanic” Never fully installed a roof rack but have done other similar installs, are a skilled mechanic, and you were born with a wrench in your hand. Time yourself, maybe you can beat the time below.
Assembly Time 3-6 hours
Please read these instructions completely before beginning installation. These guidelines are provided in good faith to help prevent any issues arising from errors during installation. The manufacturer of this product shall not be held responsible for any user actions taken or not taken during installation. If you are uncomfortable or unsure of completing this installation at your skill and knowledge level, please seek professional installation. Selection of an experienced installer is the sole responsibility of the project owner. Any damage caused by improper assembly and installation is not considered a manufacturer defect and will not be covered under warranty.
– Hex keys/allen wrenches
– 3/8″ wrench and/or socket
– Blind rivet tool
– Drill and drill bits
– Center Punch
– Box cutter, strong scissors, or diagonal cutting pliers
– Marker, pencil, or similar marking utensil
– Tape measurer
– Zip ties (for wiring)
– Painters tape
– Blue threadlock*
*recommended, but not required
– Driver-side side rail (1)
– Passenger-side side rail (1)
– Extruded cross bars (5)
– KC M-Racks logo plate (2)
– Blind rivets (8)
– 1/4”-20 x 1” allen screw (20)
– 1/4” flat washer (20)
– 1/4”-20 x 1-1/2” allen bolts (10)
– 1/4” bonded sealing washer (20)
– 1/4”-20 nuts (10)
Side Lights (optional):
– 1/4”-20 carriage bolts (8)
– 1/4”-20 nyloc nuts (8)
– Side light brackets (4)
Front Light Bar (optional):
– M8 socket cap screw (2)
– M8 washer (2)
VIDEO GUIDE (to be used in conjunction with these written instructions):
1. OPEN UP YOUR BOX
– Open box, be careful to not bend or damage any of the contents while opening.
– Pull out the cross bars, side rails, brackets, and hardware and lay onto a table or the ground on top of a blanket. Read the product registration information and the warranty guide fully.
2. LAY OUT THE KC M-RACK UP UPSIDE DOWN
3. INSTALL SIDE LIGHT BRACKETS (OPTIONAL)
Whether or not the four side lights are being installed, doing this step will save a lot time for future installs. The add-on rear chase bar also uses 4 carriage bolts on the rear-most extrusion channel.
Due to manufacturing tolerances of the hardware, some of the carriage bolts will slide easier than the others. One side will slide easier than the other.
– Locate the four cross bars that will have side light brackets attached to them. Insert two 1/4”-20 carriage bolts per side light bracket into the same side of the cross bars (the narrower sides).
– Place the metal bracket onto the threaded portions of the exposed bolts, with the hook of the bracket facing upwards.
– Thread the 1/4”-20 nyloc nuts onto the bolts, but do not completely tighten.
4. ASSEMBLE THE KC M-RACK
– Beginning on one side, loosely fasten the extruded cross bars to the side rail using the supplied 1/4”-20 x 1” allen screw and 1/4” washers (2x screws and washers per cross bar) (blue threadlocker is recommended).
– When one side is finished, complete the remaining side using the same methods.
– With the cross bars square to the side rail, torque down until tight.
– Install the forward facing light bar using the included hardware, but do not install the side lights yet (if the option with lights was purchased). For a Pro6 Installation, please refer to the Pro6 instruction manual as an additional step will be needed after Step 9.
– Once attached, ensure all screws connecting the cross bars to the side rails are securely fastened. Once completed, the rack is now fully assembled!
5. MASK OFF THE ROOF OF THE JEEP
Be sure to select tape that will not damage the paint or leave behind any excess adhesive residue.
– Carefully mask off the area where the M-Rack is going to be installed. Provide plenty of coverage to prevent any surfaces of the vehicle from getting damaged or scratched during rack placement.
6. MARKING DRILL HOLE POSITIONS
– Align and center the rack into place on the vehicle. Measure from multiple locations on each side to ensure that it is truly centered and aligned.
– Once the placement of the rack is satisfactory, mark the mounting locations onto the masking tape by tracing the tab and the hole with a marking utensil.
– Remove the rack from the vehicle and set aside.
Remember: “Measure Twice, Cut Once”. Double-check that the rack is centered and that the marks are in the correct location.
7. DRILLING THE MOUNTING HOLES
– Use a center punch to pin-point your pilot hole position.
– Use a 1/16″ drill bit (or similar size) to start a pilot hole in the center of each tab mark.
– Open up the pilot holes using a 1/4” size drill bit.
8. INSTALL SIDE and REAR LIGHTS (OPTIONAL)
– If purchased, install the side lights onto the side light brackets while the M-Rack is off of the vehicle again. Do this by loosening, but not removing, the nuts on each end of the lights and then placing them into position on the side light brackets.
– Slide the brackets into their final position so that the side light is against the side rail.
– Tighten the side lights to the brackets, and the brackets to the cross bars using a 3/8” wrench or socket.
9. FASTEN THE RACK
– Remove any remaining masking tape from the vehicle.
– Set the rack back into position on top of the Jeep.
– Starting with one side at a time, place a small amount of silicone onto the roof over the drilled holes (Silicone is recommended, but not required). Then place the 1/4” bonded sealing washers into position on top of the silicone (if used) over the holes. Insert the 1/4”-20 x 1-1/2” allen bolts through the mounting tabs of the side rails, then through the sealing washer, then through the drilled hole and into the cab of the vehicle.
– Repeat the same process for the other side of the vehicle.
– On the inside of the Jeep, place sealing washers onto the threads on the bolts (sealing side towards the roof) and then thread on the 1/4”-20 nuts (Blue threadlocker is recommended, but not required). Fully tighten these to complete the fastening of the KC M-Rack onto the roof of your Jeep.
10. INSTALL THE LOGO PLATES
– Line up the Logo Plates with the four holes in the fronts of the side rails. Use the supplied rivets and a blind rivet tool to attach the logos to each side.
11. WIRE THE LIGHTS
We recommend a professional wiring installation for these vehicles.
– If you choose to wire the lights yourself, run the wiring for the optional front light and side lights in the locations that work best for you. It is common to run the wiring is from the engine bay, through the firewall, up the A-Pillar and on top of the roll bar, and then exiting through the roof of the vehicle underneath the rack in an additional, well-sealed hole.